Amazon has warned shoppers who have purchased hoverboards to throw them away, a day after it pulled them from sale over safety concerns.
The devices, which are in fact self-balancing scooters, had been pegged as one of the most popular gifts to give this Christmas. However, many of the devices do not adhere to safety standards and there have been reports of them exploding and catching fire.
Amazon has now emailed customers who bought a Hoverboard to "dispose" of them "as soon as possible" if they came with plugs that do not comply with UK rules, the Telegraph reports.
"We regret the inconvenience this may cause you but trust you will understand that your safety and satisfaction is our highest priority," the company said. Customers will be offered a refund.
Trading Standards has seized thousands of hoverboards which do not comply in recent weeks. Under consumer protection laws, the retailer is responsible for any injuries sustained as a result of unsafe goods.