Let's face it, the anticipation of opening a Christmas cracker is always better than the rather disappointing result: inevitably, a limp hat, a toy that breaks within minutes and a joke that makes everyone groan.
But groan no more: UKTV comedy channel Gold has come up with the UK's best Christmas cracker jokes. They're topical, they're festive - and they're actually sort of funny.
And because we're City A.M. and we love a rofl as much as the next finance newspaper, we've picked out the 10 most hilarious (kinda, sorta) City-related crackers.
So without further ado, here are the gags that will get your colleagues giggling at the Christmas party...
- Why does Ed Miliband like advent calendars? He gets to open the door to number 10
- I told my Granddad to go to Amazon for his Christmas shopping. He phoned me two days later from Brazil
- Why were Jeremy Clarkson's colleagues excited to try his mulled wine? Because they'd been floored by his punch
- Why don't Volkswagen hold Christmas Services? They get the readings wrong
- Why was the turkey at the Talk Talk Christmas party such a mess? It was hacked
- What do Wikileaks staff have with their Christmas turkey? An anonymous sauce
- Why didn't people like the new Apple Mac themed advent calendars? They didn't have any Windows
- Why doesn't anyone trust Jeremy Corbyn to put up the Christmas tree? Because it always leans to the left
- Who saved Santa the job of creating a naughty list? Ashley Madison
- How do we know what Father Christmas has for dinner? He posts it on InSantagram