Financial journalists need not apply to be Tinder chief exec Sean Rad's bae

 
Edith Hancock
Follow Edith
Tinder founder Sean Rad made a hasty U-turn when he matched with City A.M.'s very own diarist (Source: Getty)

While diary editors are usually found bar-hopping every weekend on the hunt for gossip, The Capitalist spent her Saturday night attempting to chirpse with Tinder’s founder and chief executive Sean Rad, who popped into London over the weekend following Dublin’s Web Summit 2015 on Friday.

While in Ireland, Rad told tech-types at the summit that the dating app, created in 2012, does not deserve its reputation as a platform for casual dalliances. A vast majority of 80 per cent of Tinder users are actually swiping for love, according to the dating chief, while joking that the other 20 per cent are looking for “friendship… or hooking up”.

In fact, Tinder’s executives are set to announce the launch of a new algorithm that is all about finding true love. Tinder claims that it will help users of the app to hone in on suitors they’re most likely to hit it off with, and promises a 30 per cent increase in matches.

Imagine The Capitalist’s flattery then, upon finding Rad himself was not only in London and active on Tinder all evening, but had swiped right for her.

Alas, it was never meant to be. An (admittedly heavy-handed) opening message of “Well this is lucky for me, I work for a financial newspaper,” sank like a lead balloon and prompted a speedy un-match from the chief exec. It would seem a job in financial journalism is a deal-breaker. Ladies, take note.

Related articles