TOTTENHAM’S hopes of signing Saido Berahino appear to have suffered a blow after West Brom reiterated their opposition to selling the England Under-21 striker.
Baggies chiefs confirmed they had rejected a formal transfer request from Berahino, who saw a Spurs bid of around £18m turned down last week.
The club said their position remained unchanged from then, when chairman Jeremy Peace declared that Berahino’s departure was “simply not on our agenda”.
“West Bromwich Albion have received a written transfer request from Saido Berahino,” the Baggies said. “The request has been rejected and the club’s position remains unchanged from that outlined in the statement from Chairman Jeremy Peace of August 18.”
Berahino scored 20 goals in 45 appearances last season but is yet to net in two outings this term. The 22-year-old was left out of the squad for Sunday’s 3-2 home defeat by Chelsea, with West Brom manager Tony Pulis making clear his frustration at the lingering speculation.
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has targeted one more forward signing to share the load with England striker Harry Kane, having signed £11m Clinton Njie from Lyon earlier this month. The transfer window closes on 1 September.