RN Munich manager Pep Guardiola has rejected talk of taking charge at Manchester City next season but admits his position will be under threat if he fails to engineer a Champions League recovery tonight.
Guardiola is believed to be the long-term target of City’s hierarchy, which includes two directors who worked alongside him at Barcelona, Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain.
City boss Manuel Pellegrini concedes he could be sacked in the summer, while former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes last week fuelled rumours of the Spaniard joining City, albeit in 2016.
Guardiola said: “My future is: Wednesday free; Thursday training; and, of course, next year to be here. That’s my future.”
His immediate concern is overturning Porto’s 3-1 led in tonight’s quarter-final return leg in order to keep alive Bayern’s hopes of landing the treble.
“This is a big club, so you can’t say we are in a cosy situation,” said Guardiola. “If you win, you’re a genius. If you lose, you have lots of problems, but that’s the nature of my job. It isn’t enough to win the Bundesliga and the cup.”