LE Formula One champion Fernando Alonso insists he was not knocked out by his pre-season crash, despite being ruled out of the season’s first race due to fears of a concussion-related fatality.
Alonso, who has been cleared by doctors to return for Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix, maintains he was only rendered unconscious by medication administered after his accident while testing last month.
“I was perfectly conscious at the time,” the McLaren driver said of the crash, of which few details have been revealed. “I lost consciousness in the ambulance or the clinic at the circuit. But the doctors said this was normal because of the medication they gave me.”