Former world No12 Allenby says he believes he may have been drugged before being abducted from a bar in Honolulu on Friday night, hours after missing the cut at the Sony Open. The 43-year-old says he cannot recall leaving the bar, where he had been with his caddie and another friend, but that a homeless woman had seen him being dumped from a car in the park where he came to.
“I didn’t think I was going to survive this one,” said Allenby, who suffered cuts to his face but no major injuries and reported his phone, wallet, cash and cards stolen.
“I was separated from my friend in the bar after we paid the tab and he went to the bathroom and next thing you know I’m being dumped in a park miles away.”
The PGA Tour’s FBI officials are probing the alleged incident, while Hawaiian police are believed to be investigating it as a case of possible second-degree robbery.
Allenby has won 22 tournaments, mainly on the PGA Tour of Australasia, and spent most of his career in the world’s top 100 players but is without a title since 2009 and has dropped to No271.