The first cover of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo after the attack on its offices in Paris features a cartoon depicting the Prophet Mohammed, it has been revealed.
The raid took place on Wednesday last week and left 12 people dead, including four cartoonists. The two men who carried out the attack claimed to be doing it in response to inflammatory cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed published in the magazine.
Now, the magazine has placed the Prophet on its cover once more. This time he stands holding a sign saying “Je Suis Charlie”, with “everything is forgiven” written above his head.
The idea behind “Je Suis Charlie” is that everyone has the right to blaspheme, according to Charlie Hebdo's lawyer Richard Malka,. “We will not give in,” he said.
The magazine vowed to continue running despite the deadly attack, and the survivors are currently working at the offices of the French daily newspaper Liberation.
A number of external cartoonists offered contributions to the latest edition, but these were declined. Eric Portheault, the magazine's financial director, said it would be created “only by people from Charlie Hebdo”.
Normally only 60,000 copies of the magazine are sold each week, but this time three million copies are being printed.
The cover was published by French media in advance of the actual release, and it has been shared widely. The UK's Guardian, the Washington Post and Germany's Frankfurter Allgemeine are among those to have published the cartoon outside of France.