>Online activist group Anonymous has blocked access to 10 jihadist websites since it launched its #OpCharlieHebdo campaign on Friday.
It says its actions are part of a “cyberwar” against extremists, after killed 12 people were killed at the offices of Charlie Hebdo last week.
"Attacking freedom of speech is attacking Anonymous,” the group said in a video posted on YouTube. “We will not permit it. Any organisations or enterprises linked to those terrorists attacks should expect a massive reaction from Anonymous. We are tracking you down. We will find you and not leave you any rest."
On Saturday evening the group revealed its first victim – the jihadist forum Ansar al Haqq. Since then, visitors have been redirected to search engine Duck Duck Go. Below is the tweet Anonymous posted to break the news.
Another 14 websites are also being targeted by the group, as was revealed by a list posted on Pastebin. At least nine of those are now inaccessible.
FIGHTING FOR FREE SPEECH?
Anonymous has also released a list of Twitter accounts belonging to “known jihadists”. It has asked other Twitter users to “get the word out” and ask Twitter to block them.
The campaign has garnered a large amount of support but has also been criticised for hypocrisy, since some people say it is unfair to promote free speech by removing one group's online voice.