In retrospect, publishing a book called, Forget Strategy, Get Results, probably wasn’t the best thing for Telecity chief Michael Tobin to publish in April this year. Four months later, and he’s making a surprise resignation, “to make way for a new CEO”. Perhaps the board quite fancied a bit of strategy after all.
But a quick leaf through this uptempo read and a certain fictitious chief exec is brought to mind. Yep, The Office’s David Brent. So we thought we’d play a quick game. Who said it – Brent or Tobin?
1. “Although I was taught how to perform tricks by a member of the magic circle there is no magic formula.”
2. “One of my F factors is fun.”
3. “When I wanted to encourage my team to break old patterns of thinking, I treated them to an unprotected swim with sharks to learn how to confront fear.”
4. “Don’t assume. It makes an ‘ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me’.”
5. “You just have to accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.”